Dimexon is furthering its mission of supporting women in the workplace by committing to the UN-founded initiative
Dimexon is proud to announce that we have become signatories of the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEP), a powerful set of guidelines and principles designed to support women’s rights within the workplace, and beyond, across the globe.
Our business has been prioritising the empowerment of women since the earliest days of Dimexon. When establishing Dimexon in Coimbatore, India, in 1966, our founder Pankaj Mehta envisioned a business that was rooted in purpose and strong values. Having seen the impact of poor working conditions on the women of his hometown, Pankaj wanted to create a business that would empower, embolden and support women through work and education. He set about building a business around a majority female workforce, providing them with career opportunities and financial independence at a time when this was rare for women in rural India.
As Dimexon grew into an industry leader, with offices across the globe, that mission never wavered. Today, our workforce is 85% female, and we are renowned worldwide for our advocacy of women’s rights and commitment to equality. We know, however, that there is always more work to be done. That is why we have become a signatory of WEP, which we believe will further our dedication to creating a fairer and more equal society.
Formed by the UN Global Compact and UN Women, WEP offers business guidance on how to promote gender equality in the workplace. By asking CEOs to sign up, it signals a commitment to the principles at the highest possible level and encourages multistakeholder networks to work collaboratively to embrace business practices that empower women. These include equal pay, gender-responsive supply chain practices and zero tolerance against sexual harassment in the workplace.
WEP asks all of its signatories to commit to its seven principles, created to empower women:
- Principle 1 Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
- Principle 2 Treat all women and men fairly at work – respect and support human rights and non-discrimination.
- Principle 3 Ensure the health, safety and well-being of workers of all genders.
- Principle 4 Promote education, training and professional development for women.
- Principle 5 Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower women.
- Principle 6 Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
- Principle 7 Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.
By committing to WEP, Dimexon has joined fellow industry pioneers dedicated to making a difference, including the Responsible Jewellery Council, LVMH, De Beers and The Watch and Jewelry Initiative 2030.
We look forward to joining WEP in our shared vision of ensuring that workplaces champion and empower women in every corner of the globe.