July 2022 marks the launch of our first ESG report (Environment, Social, Governance), titled Diamonds with Purpose: Our 2022 ESG report and roadmap to sustainable luxury. The landmark report gives a previously unseen insight into the inner workings of our business as a responsible diamond producer.
We are proud to announce the launch of Diamonds with Purpose: Our 2022 ESG report and roadmap to sustainable luxury. The report celebrates our current ESG achievements and sets new sustainability and ethical goals for 2023, 2025 and 2030.
While this is our first ESG report, environmental, social and governance practices have very much been at the core of our business since it was founded in 1966. This is why we have a global reputation as leading the diamond industry with our initiatives on topics such as traceability, ethical sourcing and gender parity.
We see success as constant improvement. As such, we continually seek new ways to advance our operations; be that through tighter controls on our supply chain, further development in our people, or taking measures to lower our impact on the environment. Commissioning our first ESG report allows us to see where we are now, and to set ourselves some ambitious goals for the future.
Diamonds with Purpose highlights the progress made through our longstanding ESG commitments, with key highlights from the past year including:
- 3.72 tCO2e emission intensity per 1,000cts of diamonds produced
- Energy consumption at our Mumbai office has been cut by 50%
- Our facility in Coimbatore, India, is certified as having Zero Liquid Discharge Status
- 54% of all water used in the production of our diamonds is recycled
- 85% of our workforce is female, with 67% of those employees staying with the company for more than 10 years
- During the pandemic, we provided 6,000 free meals a week for the local community in Coimbatore
The report also sets out some ambitious goals for our future. Our roadmap to sustainable luxury focuses on four pillars: environmental synergy, product integrity, social stewardship and responsible business conduct. Within each pillar there are key KPIs and forward-looking pledges that will underpin our continued efforts to create a brighter future for the diamond industry. Our goals include: